Even if you didn’t file your taxes with us this year, we can still help you get free audit defense. If you have filed your 2018 taxes, and you agree to let Credit Karma import your tax return information from the IRS, we’ll give you free audit defense for this year’s federal and state tax returns.
Audit Defense can only assist with audit notices you receive after claiming your free Audit Defense. Other exclusions do apply. For more details about the Audit Defense program, visit creditkarma.com/lp/audit-defense-terms/.
The following refers to the free Audit Defense available to Credit Karma members who may have filed their taxes elsewhere but who give us consent to request their tax return transcript from the IRS. If you are looking for information about free Audit Defense from filing your taxes with Credit Karma Tax, please visit Audit Defense when you file with Credit Karma Tax.
What is audit defense?
Audit defense is support from a tax preparation professional in case your return is audited by the IRS or state taxing authority. They can help you respond to inquiries and explore your options so you won’t need to navigate it on your own.
How to get my free Audit Defense?
You can claim your free Audit Defense here, simply follow the prompts to continue.
To set you up with Audit Defense through our provider, you’ll need to:
- be a Credit Karma member and sign in to accept the offer;
- confirm that you have filed your 2018 taxes;
- authorize Credit Karma to receive and use a copy of your 2018 tax transcript; and
- electronically sign an IRS Form 4506-T - Request For Transcript of Tax Return.
Our provider has a few exclusions for Audit Defense services such as they will not be able to assist with any audit notices you received before you claim your free Audit Defense from Credit Karma. Find out more about what is and isn’t covered here.
How do I use my free Audit Defense?
After you provide your information, you will be able to access instructions and a voucher code for you to redeem your free audit defense through Tax Protection Plus, a 3rd party provider of professional audit assistance services.
What is included in our Audit Defense program?
Membership in this program may include the following services:
- Consultation regarding taxing authority correspondence from a specific Case Resolution Specialist (“CRS”) who is appropriately qualified or credentialed and who will be primarily responsible for your case.
- Document review, collection, and organization from the CRS. If necessary to respond, the CRS will identify documents that need to be collected, assist with organization of the documentation, prepare a professional response portfolio, and review and discuss it with you before sending to the taxing authority.
- Written correspondence with taxing authorities. If necessary, the CRS will draft letters and other written correspondence on your behalf, as needed, to respond to inquiries or demands from a taxing authority.
- Conferences and hearings with taxing authorities. The CRS will attend the conference or hearing on your behalf to act as your advocate before the taxing authority.
- Assistance with tax debt resolution options, if applicable.
- Assistance with identity theft, if applicable.
What should I do if I get audited?
Use the voucher code and follow the instructions provided to contact Tax Protection Plus by phone or email to open a case within 30 days of hearing from the IRS or the state taxing authority.
How long after I file do I have Audit Defense?
If eligible, your Audit Defense starts on the date you claim it on Credit Karma by giving us permission to request your tax return transcript from the IRS. You can see the expiration date on the Audit Defense page after you’ve claimed it.
Does Audit Defense also apply to my 2017 or earlier tax returns?
No, Audit Defense provided through this Program only applies to your 2018 state and federal returns.
Someone I know is being audited, can they use my voucher code?
You cannot sell or transfer your voucher code to another person or use it for a different tax return.
Why does Credit Karma need my tax transcript?
Why are you offering free Audit Defense?
We don’t think consumers should have to pay for audit defense and we're happy to offer a free alternative that gives them peace of mind.
We are extending Credit Karma Tax’s existing free audit defense offering, originally available exclusively to Credit Karma members who filed using our premium tax filing service. Now, all Credit Karma members who file their taxes will be able to enjoy Free Audit Defense.