In certain circumstances, you can still file as Head of Household on your federal return even if another taxpayer is claiming your qualifying child as a dependent. This can be common for parents in joint custody situations.
When filing your federal return with Credit Karma Tax, to file as Head of Household with a qualifying child who is not listed as your dependent, follow these steps:
- Select the filing status as Head of Household.
- Don’t enter any dependents.
- Finish the rest of your federal return and click Review and File.
- Credit Karma Tax will indicate that there is an error on your return. Choose Fix It.
- Here you will have the opportunity to enter your qualifying child’s information, including their SSN.