#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

How to file as head of household if you’re unable to claim your child as a dependent

In certain circumstances, you can still file as Head of Household on your federal return even if another taxpayer is claiming your qualifying child as a dependent. This can be common for parents in joint custody situations.

When filing your federal return with Credit Karma Tax, to file as Head of Household with a qualifying child who is not listed as your dependent, follow these steps:

  • Select the filing status as Head of Household.
  • Don’t enter any dependents.
  • Finish the rest of your federal return and click Review and File.
  • Credit Karma Tax will indicate that there is an error on your return. Choose Fix It.
  • Here you will have the opportunity to enter your qualifying child’s information, including their SSN.
Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing