If you filed with Credit Karma Tax last year we’ll help you get a head start by filling in some of your information for you.
If you used a different tax preparation service you can import your prior year’s tax return to help you get started on your taxes with Credit Karma Tax. We support importing returns from TurboTax®, H&R Block®, and TaxAct®.
Before you get started, make sure to download a copy of your return from the service you used last year.
- From the dashboard, select Start next to the Basic Info section.
- When you’re on your Personal Info screen, look for the prompt to Upload last year's forms from TurboTax®, H&R Block® or TaxAct®.
- Select Upload to start the process.
- Choose the preparation service you used last year.
- Locate the return you downloaded from your previous tax preparation software provider and drag it into the window or select Pick from your files to manually select the file you wish to upload.
- The maximum file size you can upload is 5 MB, if your prior year's tax return is too large you can try uploading only your federal Form 1040 without any supporting schedules included.
- Select Continue to upload your prior year return.
- If uploading your return is successful, we will use the information from your uploaded return to pre-fill your household information, dependent information, and your filing status.
- We recommend that you double check this information to make sure it is still correct and current for this tax season.
If you have any trouble accessing your prior year return or uploading it to Credit Karma Tax, don’t worry, you’ll be able to enter your personal and dependent information so we can help you continue preparing your return.
If you still need access to last year’s return, you can get your transcript from the IRS. For further assistance on the authentication process to access your federal tax information, check out this guide provided by the IRS.