#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

I received a letter from the IRS requesting my Form 8962

If you purchased health insurance from the Health Insurance Marketplace, also known as an Exchange, and received advance payments of the premium tax credit, Form 8962 is used to reconcile the advance payments with the amount of your credit.

If you received a letter from the IRS requesting Form 8962:

  1. Access your tax forms on Credit Karma Tax
  2. Click View PDF
  3. Print your forms and mail the requested forms to the IRS.

The IRS may also ask for a signed copy of the second page of your tax return and a copy of the 1095-A that the Marketplace sent to you.

If you received a letter that requests a recalculated page 2 of your Form 1040 along with your Form 8962, you will need to follow these instructions:

  1. Log onto Credit Karma Tax.
  2. Search for "Amendment" in the search box on the page.
  3. Click on Amend Tax Return.
  4. Follow the instructions on the screen and go back into the healthcare portion of your return to correct the entries you had originally made.
  5. Go back to the Amend Tax Return area of the site and continue through until you reach the screen that says Print my Amended PDF.
  6. Print your amended tax return forms.
  7. Sign page 2 of the Form 1040 and mail the requested forms to the address on the IRS letter you received. Make sure to keep copies for your records.

You must respond to the letter even if you feel like you received it in error. If you received this letter, but didn’t enroll in health insurance through the Marketplace, you must let the IRS know.

You can find more information about Form 8962 and get help Understanding Your Letter 0012C from the IRS.


Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing