If you purchased health insurance from the Health Insurance Marketplace, also known as an Exchange, and received advance payments of the premium tax credit, Form 8962 is used to reconcile the advance payments with the amount of your credit.
If you received a letter from the IRS requesting Form 8962:
- Access your tax forms on Credit Karma Tax
- Click View PDF
- Print your forms and mail the requested forms to the IRS.
The IRS may also ask for a signed copy of the second page of your tax return and a copy of the 1095-A that the Marketplace sent to you.
This applies only to current year taxes, Credit Karma Tax no longer supports preparing amended returns for prior years. If you received a letter that requests a recalculated page 2 of your Form 1040 along with your Form 8962, you will need to follow these instructions:
- Log onto Credit Karma Tax.
- Search for "Amendment" in the search box on the page.
- Click on Amend Tax Return.
- Follow the instructions on the screen and go back into the healthcare portion of your return to correct the entries you had originally made.
- Go back to the Amend Tax Return area of the site and continue through until you reach the screen that says Print my Amended PDF.
- Print your amended tax return forms.
- Sign page 2 of the Form 1040 and mail the requested forms to the address on the IRS letter you received. Make sure to keep copies for your records.
You must respond to the letter even if you feel like you received it in error. If you received this letter, but didn’t enroll in health insurance through the Marketplace, you must let the IRS know.