#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

Injured spouse relief - Form 8379

If you filed a joint tax return and all or part of your portion of the tax refund is applied to certain debts that your spouse owes, you may be able to file Form 8379 to recover your portion of your refund. Do not use Form 8379 if you are claiming innocent spouse relief. 

Go to this section in Credit Karma Tax: Injured Spouse Allocation

You may qualify for injured spouse relief if you and your spouse filed jointly and some or all of your refund went toward (or is expected to go toward) your spouse’s:

  • Past-due federal tax
  • Past-due state tax
  • Child or spousal support,
  • Federal non-tax debt (like a student loan)
Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing