#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

What are reimbursements and recoveries?

A recovery happens when you get a refund, reimbursement or rebate of an amount you deducted or took a credit for in a previous tax year.

If this happens, you typically need to include the recovery amount as income for the current year up to the amount that the deduction or credit reduced your tax in the previous year.

For example, let’s say you paid $3,000 in medical expenses in 2016 and itemized $500 of those expenses on last year’s tax return. This year, you received a $750 reimbursement from your insurance company for 2016 expenses.

You only have to report $500 of that reimbursement as income because it’s the amount you actually deducted.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing