#We are currently experiencing unusually high volumes of support requests. Response times may be delayed. ×

If my employer withholds the wrong amount for Social Security tax, will it mess up my future benefits?

If your employer did not withhold the correct amount of taxes from your wages and they remain unpaid, it could affect the amount of Social Security, Medicare, or unemployment benefits you receive it in the future.

If you feel that your Social Security or Medicare taxes are incorrect on your W-2, you should discuss the error with your employer. You should also contact your local Social Security Administration or check out the IRS website for other steps you can take.

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing

Was this article helpful?