#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

I paid alimony to my former spouse, but I don’t know their Social Security number (SSN)

If you’re claiming a deduction for alimony paid, the IRS requires that you include the SSN or ITIN of the former spouse receiving the alimony payments on your tax return. If you don’t provide your former spouse’s SSN or ITIN, the IRS may disallow your deduction for the payments and charge a $50 penalty.

The IRS requires that your former spouse provide you with their SSN or ITIN. Otherwise, they may have to pay a $50 penalty.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing