#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

My employer didn't collect enough Social Security? Can I still file my return?

You can still file your tax return even if your employer didn’t collect enough Social Security and/or Medicare taxes from your wages.

It’s recommended that you discuss the error with your employer and work out an agreement. The employer should withhold the correct amount of taxes from your wages, but until the IRS receives the additional tax that needs to be paid, you will be liable to pay the difference.

You and your employer must pay a share of Social Security and Medicare taxes on the wages you earned. Generally, your employer should withhold 6.2 percent and 1.45 percent of your wages for Social Security and Medicare taxes, respectively.

For more information, see IRS Publication 15 and search for “Collecting underwithheld taxes from employees.”

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing