#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

Do I have to claim my unemployment compensation as income? 1099-G

If you received unemployment compensation during the year, you should receive Form 1099-G, showing the amount you were paid. Any unemployment compensation received must be included in your income.

Go to this section in Credit Karma Tax: 1099-G unemployment or family leave income

Unemployment compensation generally includes state unemployment insurance benefits and benefits paid to you by a state or the District of Columbia from the Federal Unemployment Trust Fund. It also includes railroad unemployment compensation benefits, but does not include workers compensation.

Keep in mind that if you receive unemployment benefits from your state, you may be required to make quarterly estimated tax payments unless you elected to have taxes withheld.

If you repaid any unemployment benefits in the same year you received them, you can reduce your total taxable benefits by the amount you repaid.

If you received supplemental unemployment benefits from a company-financed fund, the income you receive is not considered unemployment compensation and you should receive a Form W-2 showing the amounts you were paid. If you received the benefits from a private fund to which you’ve contributed voluntarily, you only have to pay taxes on the amount you receive that exceeds what you’ve contributed. You should report these types of benefits as other income on your tax return.

Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing