Our support team is currently experiencing high volumes. You may experience a delay in response. ×

Do I need to report last year’s state tax refund as income? Form-1099G

If you took a standard deduction last year or itemized sales tax instead of state income tax, your state income tax refund isn’t taxable.

Go to this section in Credit Karma Tax: Income - Form 1099-G

Your state tax refund from last year is taxable if you itemized your state income taxes. Because you received a refund, your state taxes ended up being less than you had claimed as a deduction on your federal return. As a result, all or part of your state refund can become taxable income in the next year.

Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing