#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

Who can take this deduction?

Taxpayers who have moved for a new job within the past 12 months may be able to take this deduction on their 2017 federal income tax return, provided their situation meets all other qualifying criteria. These include:

  • Distance test: Your new job would add at least 50 miles to your commute if you were to remain living in your old home. For example, if your old job required you to commute just 5 miles from your old home to your former place of business, your commute to your new job would need to be at least 55 miles from your previous residence.
  • Time test: After you move, you must work full-time at your new job for at least 39 weeks in the first 12 months of employment. If you’re self-employed, you must work full-time at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months of your new job.

If you’re a member of the Armed Forces and had to move because of a military order, you don’t have to meet the distance or time test.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing