#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

What is the Moving Expense Deduction and how can I claim it?

If you are on active-duty in the military and move on orders to report to a new base, you may be able to deduct some of the expenses related to your move on your federal return. 

As a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (2017 tax reform): the deduction for moving expenses can only be claimed on your federal return for moves related to a military-ordered permanent change of station. Reimbursement of moving costs from an employer is now considered taxable income for moves that occurred in 2018 or later.

Go to this section in Credit Karma Tax: Moving Expenses

You can claim a deduction for reasonable expenses related to moving your household belongings and personal effects, as well as expenses related to traveling to your new home.

Eligible expenses may include:

  • Transportation for yourself and your family members while moving
  • Lodging during your move
  • Packing and shipping your household goods

You can’t deduct:

  • The cost of meals while you’re moving
  • Any of the purchase price of your new home
  • The cost of selling your old house or breaking a rental agreement

Note: Some states are allowing moving expense deductions for non-military moves. If you had a non-military move in 2018 you should still enter your moving expense information on Credit Karma Tax at the link above to see if you qualify for a moving expense deduction on your state return.
Source: irs.gov

Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing