#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

What is the repayments deduction and when can I claim it?

If you had to repay to an employer wages you had reported to the IRS as income in an earlier tax year, and which you paid taxes on, you could be eligible for this deduction.

You may be eligible to deduct the amount you repaid from your income for the tax year in which you made the repayment. The type of income you reported will decide the type of deduction you can take.

Generally, you’ll be able to deduct the repayment on the same form or schedule you used to previously to report it to the IRS as income. For example, if you are self-employed and reported it as self-employment income, you would deduct it as a business expense on Schedule C, Form 1040. If you are an employee and reported the income as wages, you would deduct it as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing