We are currently experiencing unusually high volumes of support requests. Response times may be delayed. ×


Credit Karma Tax supports filing form 1099-Q. You can enter the information from Box 1 of Form 1099-Q under the “Other Income” section.

In the event that you did not spend all of the 1099-Q distributions from Box 1 on qualifying education expenses, you can enter the taxable amount into Credit Karma Tax’s “Other Income” section by clicking here. 

If you used all of the 529 distribution reported to you in Box 1 of Form 1099-Q to pay for qualifying education expenses, you don’t need to take any further action with this form except keep it for your records.

You can’t claim an education credit for the expenses you paid with your 529 distributions. However, you may be able to claim an education credit for the qualified education expenses in excess of the 529 distributions that you received.


Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing

Was this article helpful?