#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

Which taxes can I deduct on my federal return?

You may be able to deduct several kinds of non-business taxes if you choose to itemize your deductions. 

Go to this section in Credit Karma Tax: Other Taxes Paid

If you paid the following taxes you may be able to deduct them from your federal income:

  • State and local income taxes - State and local taxes are typically withheld from your paycheck and would appear on your W-2 in the designated boxes. If you choose to itemize your deductions, Credit Karma Tax will use your state and local income taxes from your W-2 on your Schedule A. You may also deduct your estimated state and local income taxes and any prior year's state or local income taxes if you paid them during the current tax year.
  • State and local sales taxes -- If you saved your receipts throughout the year, you can add up the total amount of sales taxes you actually paid and claim that amount with your itemized deductions. If you do not feel like saving and adding receipts, you can choose to use the optional sales tax table.
  • State and local personal property taxes -- You can typically deduct personal property taxes paid for vehicles, boats, or other property that’s taxed annually at the state or local level.
  • State and local real estate taxes - Includes taxes you paid on real estate you own that wasn't used for business. The tax must be assessed against all real property in the community at a similar rate and used for community or governmental purposes.

As a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (2017 tax reform): There are limits to how much you can deduct for other taxes paid. Enter the relevant information into Credit Karma Tax and we’ll help calculate your deduction up to federal limits.
Source: irs.gov

Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing