#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

I forgot that I made an estimated tax payment this year, and I already filed my return. Now what do I do?

Don’t worry! If you suddenly remember a tax payment you made after you already filed your return, you can submit an amended return. If you’ve already filled, you can use Form 1040X to correct your return. On your 1040X you can report that payment as an over-payment.

Credit Karma Tax can help you file Form 1040X to amend your return. When you submit your 1040X, you’ll also need to submit the original tax return and tax forms you’re amending, a copy of the 1040-ES payment voucher that went along with your quarterly payment and /or any IRS payment confirmation showing proof of payment.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing