#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

Dispute incorrect information on my Equifax credit report

If you find an error in your Equifax credit report, you’ll need to dispute it with Equifax. Here are the key steps on how to do that and what to expect.

File a dispute with Equifax

Before you begin your dispute, make sure you have your most up-to-date Equifax report handy.

Creditors typically report information to the credit bureaus every 30 days so your most recent credit activity may not be reflected on your report. Depending on the type of error you’ve spotted, you may want to wait a month for a full credit cycle to complete to make sure this information is the most up to date. That said, if you’ve identified an error that appears it may be fraudulent, you may consider acting sooner.

You’ll also need to provide supporting documentation when you file your dispute.

How to dispute information on your Equifax credit report.

What to expect after filing your dispute

Equifax will notify you of the results of the investigation within 30 days of your request.

Once the investigation is complete, Equifax will let you know whether the information will remain, be modified, or be removed from your report.

Filing a dispute request does not guarantee that Equifax will find that the information on your report should change. You do have the right to add a statement of explanation to your credit file if you disputed an item, but the investigation did not resolve the dispute.

Seeing the change on Credit Karma

If your dispute results in changes to your Equifax credit report, the information you see on Credit Karma will be corrected after we receive the updated information from Equifax. Equifax must make the initial change because Credit Karma does not edit your information on your credit reports.

Remember to also check your credit reports from the other credit bureaus to be sure the error is not reflected on those. If it is, you would need to submit your dispute again with each one.

Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing