#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

Dispute incorrect information on my TransUnion credit report

If you find an error in your TransUnion credit report, we can help you dispute it through our Direct Dispute™ tool. You should only file a dispute if you believe there is incorrect information on your TransUnion report.

Before you begin your dispute

Make sure you have your most up-to-date TransUnion report. Creditors typically report information to the credit bureaus every 30 days, but different accounts may update at different speeds and frequencies.

You can dispute the ownership of a particular account that appears, or the accuracy of certain items on the account — like your balance, due dates or status. If you’re looking to dispute any personal information — like your name, address, employment, date of birth, SSN or telephone number — you’ll need to go directly to TransUnion.

You won’t be able to submit documents with your request through Credit Karma. If you expect to provide supporting documents with your dispute, you will need to open a dispute through TransUnion’s site.

Our Direct Dispute™ tool is not available for disputing any errors that you may identify on your Equifax report, but you can file a dispute with Equifax online.

How to file a Direct Dispute

  1. On your TransUnion Credit Report open the account you’d like to dispute
  2. Select Dispute an Error
  3. You’ll be prompted to complete a form regarding ownership and accuracy. You can choose to dispute either the ownership or the accuracy of an account, but not both.
    • Ownership: Choose this if the account is not yours.
    • Accuracy: Choose this if the item on the report belongs to you, but the details are wrong
  4. Once you’ve selected the item you’d like to dispute, hit Continue
  5. Accept Direct Dispute Terms and Conditions by checking the box
  6. Select  Submit My Dispute to submit to your Dispute Request to TransUnion

What to expect after filing a Direct Dispute

After you’ve sent a Direct Dispute to TransUnion, you’ll be able to check on the status of your dispute in your Dispute Center.

  • Hover over My Overview on your Credit Karma dashboard to access your Dispute Center.

TransUnion typically completes its investigation within 30 days of the date they receive your request. TransUnion will review your dispute request and let you know if the item(s) will stay on your report or be modified or removed. Filing a dispute request does not guarantee that TransUnion will change your report.

You will not be able to cancel or modify a dispute once you’ve submitted it. In order to cancel or modify a dispute, you’ll need to contact TransUnion.

Seeing changes on Credit Karma

If TransUnion makes a change to your report as a result of your dispute, you’ll see it on Credit Karma after we get the updated information from TransUnion. Keep in mind that Credit Karma isn’t able to make the change to your credit report, and that we depend on TransUnion to provide us with any updated information.

What if I don’t agree with the results?

Here are some actions you can take if you don’t agree with the dispute results.

  • Go to TransUnion’s site and submit a new dispute.
    • You’ll be able to attach supporting documents to your dispute if you submit it directly with TransUnion.
  • Dispute directly with the company that reported the information to TransUnion.
    • You can find the contact information under the account details section of your credit report.
  • Add a 100-word statement to your TransUnion report.
    • You have the right to send TransUnion a note of 100 words or fewer describing your situation or why you disagree with the result, and TransUnion will add this statement to your report.
    • Note: If you do add a statement, the entire statement will be seen by anyone who can access your report (like banks, lenders, and potential employers who you may consent to checking credit). Because of this, you may want to exclude any medical information or any details that you would want kept private.
  • File a complaint about the company reporting the account or about TransUnion with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or with your state’s attorney general office.
Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing