We are currently experiencing unusually high volumes of support requests. Response times may be delayed. ×

Can I claim an education deduction or credit if my parents claim me as a dependent on their federal income tax return? Can I claim this for my child if they don't live at home?

If your parents list you as a dependent on their tax return, you cannot claim an education deduction or credit.

You still may be able to claim an education credit or deduction for your child if your your child doesn’t live at home due to a temporary absence, such as school. Generally, you may be able to deduct qualified education expenses for higher education paid during the year for yourself, your spouse or your dependent. To see more information on who qualifies as a dependent, go here.

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing

Was this article helpful?