#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

Why do I have 1099-k when I don't own a business?

Do you drive for a rideshare company or are you a gig worker? Do you receive third-party payments from credit card companies? These are a few scenarios in which you may receive a 1099-K.

Go to this section in Credit Karma Tax: Business Income

If you have income reported on a 1099-K, then chances are that you are not an employee, but an independent contractor for that payor. For tax purposes, this means you are self-employed and are responsible for paying all your federal, state and employment taxes on that income.

Income received in the course of your trade or business from payment settlement entities is reported on Form 1099-K (For example: rideshare income, credit/debit sales, online and digital payments).
Source: irs.gov

Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing