#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

I'm not a freelancer, why did I get a 1099-MISC?

Freelancers aren’t the only ones who receive a Form 1099-Misc.

Property managers and others who participate in rental real estate, machine rental or other property rental activities may receive a Form 1099-Misc to report the rental income received. Rental income is reported in Box 1 of your Form 1099-Misc. You should report it either on Schedule E or Schedule C.

Royalty payments for use of intangible property such as patents, copyrights, trademarks and tradenames are also reported on Form 1099-Misc. You should report them on Schedule E.

If you win a large prize or sweepstakes, the monetary value of the award may be reported to you as Other Income on Form 1099-Misc. You should report the winnings on your Form 1040.

For a detailed description and instructions for the 1099-Misc, please click here.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing