#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

Why did I get a 1099-MISC?

You could receive a 1099-MISC for several reasons:

  • Are you self-employed?
  • Do you receive income from rental real estate property, equipment rentals or other property rentals?
  • Do you receive royalty income for the use of your intangible property such as patents, copyrights, trademarks and tradenames?
  • Did you win a large prize or sweepstakes?
  • Did you do repair work for someone? Did a business hire you to do a one-off job? Are you an owner-operator truck driver? Do you work for a company on your own time, when you want to?

If you answered “YES” to any of the above questions, then there’s a chance you may receive a 1099-Misc.

Generally, income received in the course of your trade or business from individuals or organizations for whom you are not employed, is reported on Form 1099-Misc.

Click here for more information.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing