#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

How do I know if I'm disallowed to claim the Earned Income Credit (EIC) this year?

If your Earned Income Credit (EIC) claim was denied or reduced for any reason other than a math or clerical error, you will need to file Form 8862.

If the IRS determined your EIC error was due to intentional disregard of EIC rules, you can’t claim the EIC credit for two tax years. If the IRS disallowed the credit because of fraud, you won’t be allowed to claim the EIC credit for 10 years.

If you’re not sure whether you will be able to claim the EIC or need to know how many years you’ll be disallowed the credit, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing

Was this article helpful?