#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

My dependent has a W-2. Where do I enter it?

My dependent has a W-2 from a part-time job. Where can I enter it in Credit Karma Tax?

Unfortunately, you can’t add your dependent’s W-2 income to your tax return. Your dependent may need to file his or her own tax return depending on how much earned income and unearned income (income received, such as interest and dividends) was received.
Please refer to IRS Publication 929 for more information whether or not your dependent needs to file a tax return. We also recommend trying out a quick online interview provided by the IRS’ Interactive Tax Assistant to determine if your dependent is required to file.

Does this mean I can’t claim my dependent anymore since he/she is filing his/her own taxes now? I paid for more than half my dependent’s living expenses, can I claim them and a dependent if they file their own taxes?

If your dependent is filing their own taxes you can still claim them on your return. However, your dependent needs to state that he/she can be claimed on another tax return. If this box isn’t checked, one of two scenarios will likely occur:

  1. Your dependent’s tax return will be rejected by the IRS because you have already claimed them as a dependent on your return.. Your dependent will need to go back to the personal information page and check the box “someone else could claim you as a dependent” and resubmit the return.
  2. Your return will be rejected because your dependent filed their tax return and already claimed the exemption. You’ll need to remove the dependent that already filed their return off your return to correct this error.

Check out our Dependent info and eligibility FAQ section for more information when claiming dependents on your return.

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing

Was this article helpful?