#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

Do I qualify for Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled?

You might be able to lower your taxes owed if you’ve reached the retirement age and/or you’re physically unable to work. Based on the information you provide, Credit Karma Tax will help determine your eligibility for this credit. You can find credits you may qualify for under Household Credits within the Basic Info section.

Go to this section in Credit Karma Tax: Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled

To qualify for this credit, you (or your spouse if married filing jointly) must be 65 or older at the end of the tax year. You may also qualify if you’re under 65 and all of the following criteria applies to you (and/or your spouse if married filing jointly):

  1. You retired on permanent and total disability before or during the tax year.
  2. You received taxable disability income for the tax year.

You must meet income limits defined by the IRS to qualify. In general, married individuals would need to file a joint return to take advantage of this tax credit. Certain exceptions apply if you and your spouse did not live in the same household during the year or when filing as head of household if you meet certain criteria. 

If you’re unsure if you’ve met all the requirements, you can use this interactive interview offered by the IRS.
Source: irs.gov

Can I claim the Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled for my dependent?

This credit can’t be claimed for a dependent or an elderly relative. You can only take this credit on your own tax return.
Source: irs.gov

Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing