#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

Where can I find the EIN for my employer, and what if it’s missing or incorrect?

The most common place an employer’s EIN can be found is on your W-2 in box B. It’s a unique 9-digit number with the following format: XX-XXXXXXX. If an employer’s EIN is missing or incorrect on your W-2, you will need to contact the employer’s Human Resources or Payroll department to find out what the correct number is. In some cases, a business EIN can change from one year to the next if their ownership or business structure has changed, so be careful using a prior year EIN for your current tax return. Likewise, an employer may have a different EIN for each business branch or workplace location. To learn more about the information that is provided on your W-2, please review the General Instructions for Form W-2.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing