#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

Who’s a qualifying person for the Dependent Care Credit? Can I claim a non-dependent?

To claim the Dependent Care Credit, you have to have paid care expenses for your dependent children who are younger than 13, your disabled spouse or other individuals who are mentally or physically unable to care for themselves.

You can claim this credit if you pay for the care of qualifying individuals (your elderly parent or your significant other that you are not married to, for example), as long as the following requirements are met:

  • They are mentally or physically unable to care for themselves.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year
  • They were your dependent or would have been your dependent except they:
    • Earned more than $4,050 during the year
    • Filed a joint return with someone else
    • You or your spouse (if Married Filing Jointly) can be claimed by someone else so you couldn’t claim this person as your dependent.

Credit Karma Tax will automatically determine which dependents are eligible for this credit, and you can enter information for people whose care you paid for, who didn’t qualify to be your dependent, so you can maximize your credit.

Click here to learn more about the dependent care credit.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing