We are currently experiencing unusually high volumes of support requests. Response times may be delayed. ×

Care Provider Issues. What do I do?

Many times, care providers may not provide you with everything you need to report their information correctly for the Child and Dependent Care Credit. You may have to report your care provider’s information differently to claim this credit.

Here’s what to do in each of these situations:

  • No Social Security Number (SSN), or provider refuses to give it to you. If the provider refuses to give you their SSN or TIN (tax identification number), you can still claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit. However, you will need to mail in your return (paper file) and attach a statement showing that you attempted to get this information from the provider. On the attached statement, explain that you requested the provider's identifying number, but the provider didn't give it to you.
  • Tax-exempt care provider: check the “tax-exempt” box on the care provider information screen on Credit Karma Tax.
  • Daycare site closed and/or no form. You’ll need to show that you tried to get identifying information from a daycare provider that is closed or won’t provide you with a form before you can file your return. You will still be able to claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit but you’ll need to mail your return in (paper file) and attach a statement explaining that you attempted to get the EIN or SSN information from the provider.
  • Relative care provider: If a relative kept your child while you worked you may be able to claim the dependent care credit as long as payments are not paid to your spouse, the parent of your qualifying person, to someone whom you claim as a dependent or your child age 19 or older if the child is your dependent. You will have to identify who the person is that is providing care for your child and provide their SSN/TIN to claim this credit.

Click here for more information on dependent care providers.

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing

Was this article helpful?