What is the Maximum Refund Guarantee?
Credit Karma Tax wants to ensure that we give our members peace of mind. If you receive a larger federal tax refund amount or owe less in federal taxes using the same Tax Return Information (as defined in the IRS Code Section 6103(b)(2)(A)) when filing an amended 2018 federal income tax return through another online tax preparation service, then you may be eligible to receive the difference in the refund or tax amount owed up to $100 (minimum $25) in the form of a gift card from Credit Karma Tax.
Our goal is to remedy the situation with you directly. You can always contact our Member Support team if you find a difference that you believe can be remedied by filing an amended tax return using Credit Karma Tax.
If we’re unable to help you solve your issue through Credit Karma Tax, and you decide to file an amended return using another online tax preparation service, you can submit a Maximum Refund Guarantee claim.
How do I qualify for the Maximum Refund Guarantee?
In order to quality for the Maximum Refund Guarantee from Credit Karma Tax:
- You must have filed your original 2018 federal income tax return or an extension (and later filed your amended 2018 federal income tax return by the IRS deadline) through Credit Karma Tax on or before April 15, 2019 using forms that are supported by Credit Karma Tax;
- You must have filed an amended 2018 federal income tax return with another online tax preparation service using the same Tax Return Information (as defined in the IRS Code Section 6103(b)(2)(A)) that you used when filing with Credit Karma Tax;
- Your amended 2018 federal income tax return must have been accepted by the IRS and show that you have a larger federal tax refund amount or owe less in federal taxes;
- You must submit your complete Maximum Refund Guarantee claim to Credit Karma Tax no later than December 31, 2019; and
- The higher federal tax refund or lower federal tax liability cannot be attributed to:
- claims you make on your tax return(s) that are contrary to law and regulations;
- your failure to file an amended return after we announce any updates or corrections to the Credit Karma Tax software;
- your failure to correct and resolve errors identified by Credit Karma Tax prior to your submitting a claim under this Maximum Refund Guarantee;
- your failure to provide all necessary information for Credit Karma Tax to assess your claim; and/or
- any other reason outside the control of Credit Karma Tax.
What documents must be included for my Max Refund Guarantee claim?
When submitting your claim, you must include the following documents:
- Credit Karma Tax Maximum Refund Guarantee Claim Form (all sections must be filled in);
- Copy of your printed amended return (1040, 1040x and supporting schedules) from the other online tax preparation service; and
- Copy of your Record of Account Transcript showing your amended return from the IRS.
Where can I get a copy of my Record of Account Transcript from the IRS?
You can create an account with the IRS and download a copy of your Record of Account Transcript – make sure it is a copy of your amended return.
You’ll be able to track the status of your amended return here – once it’s accepted by the IRS, you can download a copy using the link in the next step.
Where do I send my Max Refund Guarantee claim?
All documentation listed above must be mailed in a complete package to the following mailing address:
Credit Karma Tax, Inc.
Max Refund Guarantee Claims
P.O. Box 49249
Charlotte, NC 28277-9249
We strongly encourage you to use USPS, FedEx, UPS, or a service that allows you to track your package.
How do I know if my Max Refund Guarantee claim has been accepted or denied?
We’ll review each claim package individually, and acceptance or denial of claims is within our sole discretion. We may send you an email to clarify some items. Once we’ve completed a review of your claim, we’ll send you an email with an acceptance or denial of your claim.