#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

My return was rejected due to incorrect personal information

Typically, if your tax return was rejected due to incorrect personal information, it may mean that the information you’ve entered didn’t align with what IRS had in their database. 

Mismatched personal information can include the following:

  • Misspelled names,
  • Recent name changes,
  • Invalid birth dates, or
  • Incorrect Social Security number
  • Dependent Social Security number has been used on another tax return.

Inconsistently reported data for the taxpayer, spouse or dependents could delay the tax return filing process, so be sure to go over each person’s household information with care.

Go to this section in Credit Karma Tax: Personal Information

Once you’ve reviewed and updated your information, you can resubmit your tax return. If you’ve exceeded the number of e-file submission attempts, you can still file print and mail a paper copy of your tax return.

Go to this section in Credit Karma Tax: View My Tax Forms

If you’ve double-checked that all the data you’ve entered is correct, you may need to call the Social Security Administration to make sure they have the correct information in their records at 1-800-772-1213. Afterwards, you should also contact the IRS directly at 800-829-1040 to see if their database is up to date with your information. Keep in mind that any updates to IRS records do not occur immediately and may take a long time to process.
Source: irs.gov

Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing