#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

Can I use an ITIN to e-file my tax return using Credit Karma Tax?

Credit Karma Tax requires the primary taxpayer to have a valid Social Security Number (SSN) in order to e-file your taxes.

If you think you may qualify for a SSN, you can visit the Social Security Administration to start the application process.

We cannot accept an Individual Tax Identification number (ITIN). Credit Karma Tax is only available to U.S. residents with a Social Security number. An ITIN always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, for example 9XX-7X-XXXX or 9XX-8X-XXXX. If you get denied for a SSN, you can apply for an ITIN using Form W-7. It’s important to know that an ITIN can expire if it’s not included on a U.S. tax return for 3 consecutive tax years, and you cannot claim the Earned Income Credit (EIC) if anyone listed on your return uses an ITIN. Here’s more information about an ITIN on the IRS website.

What if my spouse has an SSN? Can we file with you?

If you have an ITIN and are married filing jointly with your spouse who has an SSN, you can file jointly with your spouse. If you don’t have an ITIN, you can apply for one through the IRS.

As a friendly reminder, your spouse will need to be the primary taxpayer to e-file with us. If your spouse doesn’t have a Credit Karma Tax account yet, they can click here to sign up for free.

Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing