#We're making some changes to this help center. If you're unable to find what you're looking for, please try again in a few minutes. ×

Why do I have a duplicate return?

A duplicate return could mean that the IRS has already received a tax return with the same Social Security number (SSN) as yours. If you submitted your tax return and the IRS rejected it as a duplicate return, the first thing you can do is double-check that you entered the right SSN.

If your SSN is correct, it’s possible that someone else has fraudulently filed a return using your SSN.

If this happens, submit Form 14039 Identity Theft Affidavit to the IRS as soon as possible. You’ll also need to send in a photocopy of your ID so that the IRS can confirm your identity. Page 2 of Form 14039 has instructions on how to mail or fax your paperwork to the IRS.

You’ll also still need to file a return (most likely a paper return). You can print your return from Credit Karma Tax and mail it to the IRS center in your state.

If someone has enough of your info to file a tax return, they might try to use your identity for other things, too. Here are a few things you can do:

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing

Was this article helpful?