#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

This is the first time I have had to do taxes, but I did not file. What should I do?

If you are a first-time filer (or it is the first time you are facing a tax penalty), you may qualify for a First-Time Penalty Abatement. That means the IRS may reduce the penalty for not filing your taxes or not filing on time.

You might qualify if:

  • This is the first time you’ve had to file a return or you’ve had no penalties for the previous 3 tax years
  • You already filed any required returns or filed for an extension
  • You’ve paid or made arrangements to pay any tax due

Keep in mind that even if you receive a penalty abatement, your penalty fees may continue to accumulate until you fully pay off your tax bill. You can learn more about penalty abatement on the IRS’s site.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing