#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

Credit Karma Tax frequently asked questions

Who is eligible to file using Credit Karma Tax?

Most of you should be able to use Credit Karma Tax. Whether you’re a 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040 filer, we’ve got you covered. Our life events format can help you figure out what information you need (or don’t need) to provide.

This year, there are some limitations to our tax product. Notably, we don’t support multiple state filings, part-year state filing, foreign earned income, state returns for married filing separately in community property states, or state filing without a federal filing.

Check out the complete list of forms and situations that we won’t support this year.

You can also review all of the forms we do support.

Do you support joint filing?

Yes, we do! You can file single or joint returns through Credit Karma Tax.

Can I use Credit Karma Tax if I’m self-employed or own a small business?

We support the forms an individual must file to report income or loss from a small business or other partnership, including:

  • 1040 schedule C (sole proprietorship)
  • 1040 schedule E (partnerships, estates, trusts, multi-member LLCs, S corporations, C corporations)
  • 1040 schedule SE (self-employment tax)

If you’re a business owner or own a partnership

Credit Karma Tax does not yet support businesses that need to file small business forms or businesses that file as an S corporation, C corporation, partnership or multi-member LLC.

Can I use Credit Karma Tax if I'm not a U.S. resident?

Our service is available to U.S. residents who are 18 or older (including resident aliens filing a 1040). We don't currently support 1040NR for nonresident aliens.

Can I use Credit Karma Tax if I’m not a Credit Karma member?

Our tax service is available once you sign up for Credit Karma. Just like Credit Karma Tax, Credit Karma is 100% free, and you get access to your credit scores and reports, plus credit monitoring, insights and recommendations. Sign up for Credit Karma.

When can I start my taxes on Credit Karma Tax?

We'll start rolling it out in January. Add your name to the list, and we’ll let you know when you can start filing with Credit Karma Tax. Check back here for more details as it gets closer.

When are my 2017 taxes due?

Your 2017 federal tax return is due on April 17, 2018, unless you file for an extension.

Can I import my tax return from last year?

If you used H&R Block, TurboTax, or TaxAct last year, Credit Karma Tax can help you import the information to auto-fill your return. You can also get your IRS transcript here.

What if I don’t want to or can’t e-file?

You can still complete your tax return on Credit Karma Tax. Once you’ve finished your return, you’ll have the option to e-file it or print and mail it. Either way, it’s 100% free.

After I file using Credit Karma Tax, can I still access my return?

Yes. You'll be able to access your return on our website and print or save it for your records.

Can I download Credit Karma Tax?

Credit Karma Tax is an online service and not available for download. We save your information as you go, so you can leave and come back at any time.

Can I use Credit Karma Tax on my mobile phone?

Yes! Beginning this year, most filers will be able to complete their entire tax return on a mobile device.

What if I have additional questions while I’m using Credit Karma Tax?

You’ll be able to reach us through email or chat. If you have a complicated issue, we’ll give you a call. Just keep in mind that we aren’t tax advisors, so we won’t be able to give you personal or legal advice on your taxes.

How does Credit Karma Tax compare against other free products?

When we say “free,” we don’t mean free trial or free to start. We mean 100% free from start to finish for everyone. Credit Karma Tax is an easy tax solution for both federal and state returns. There’s no income limit, no expiration date, no upsells and no hidden fees.

How does Credit Karma Tax protect my information?

Security is our top priority, which is why over 60 million members trust Credit Karma with their credit information.

Here are just a few of the ways Credit Karma Tax protects your information:

  • We use 128-bit or higher encryption to protect the transmission of your data to our site
  • We are an Authorized IRS e-file Provider, which means we must comply with security, privacy and business standards set by the IRS
  • We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards of taxpayer information that comply with applicable law and federal standards
  • We have a dedicated on-site security team, plus independent third-parties who regularly assess our site for vulnerabilities
  • We require a phone number and SMS/call verification when using Credit Karma Tax

Why are you launching Credit Karma TaxTM?

We believe that filing your taxes should be free — just like accessing your credit information. We’re focused on helping our members save money, and free tax filing puts money back in your pocket. Plus, it can help us become even better at assisting you with your finances. See what our founder and CEO, Ken Lin, has to say about Credit Karma Tax on our blog.

How can you afford to offer Credit Karma Tax for free?

Our mission is to make financial progress possible for everyone. By understanding your credit and your taxes, Credit Karma can better assist you with your finances. We can monitor your finances, help you make good financial decisions and suggest better credit cards, loans and insurance products. If you like a recommendation and get approved for a product through Credit Karma, we usually get paid.

We work hard to make suggestions that we think are right for you, but you’re never obligated to take our recommendations. We think this is a far better way to make money than having you pay for our service.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing