#Please note: Thursday 11/23/2017 and Friday 11/24/2017 are company holidays for many of our employees. Because of this, there may be a delay in our response. Thank you for your patience! ×

How do I file an amended federal return (Form 1040X)?

Quick Links: 

Guide to Federal Amendments on Credit Karma Tax

When do I need to file an amended return?

Deadline to amend your federal tax return

Where’s the refund from my amended return?

Where do I send my amended return?

IRS Contact Information

When do I need to file an amendment?
If you need to make any adjustments to your federal tax return, you may need to file an amended return. Generally, you don’t need to file an amended return for any math errors on your return, or if you might have forgotten to attach any tax forms (like a W-2) or tax schedules. The IRS will typically make math corrections automatically and will send a request if they require you submit any additional documentation.

You may need to file an amended return if there are any changes to:

  • Your filing status
  • Income 
  • Deductions
  • Credits

This video from the IRS on key information when filing an amended return may help you to file your Form 1040X

Use Form 1040X (Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return) to correct any previously filed return, or if you are claiming any carryback due to a loss or unused credit.

There may be special rules that apply to refund claims relating to:

  • Net operating loss
  • Foreign tax credits
  • Bad debts
  • Other issues

Please note:

  • You can't file an amended tax return electronically under the e-file system
  • Attach copies of any forms or schedules affected by the change
  • Include any form or schedules that support changes made on your return. This may include any Form W-2 received after the original filing, any Form W-2G or 1099 if income tax was withheld, or any other forms or schedules.
  • You will need to to file a separate Form 1040X for each tax year you're amending. Mail each Form 1040X in a separate envelope.
  • Be sure to enter the year of the return you're amending at the top of Form 1040X 
  • The form has three columns:
      • Column A shows original figures (the original return) or adjusted figures (prior amendments or exam changes)
      • Column C shows the corrected figures (what they should be)
      • Column B is the difference between Columns A and C
  • A change to your federal tax return may affect your state tax liability. Generally, if you are amending your federal tax return, you should also file an amended state return.

Deadline to amend your federal tax return
If you are claiming a tax return with an amended federal tax return, the IRS typically requires the amended return to be filed within 3 years of the filing date of the original tax return (including extensions), or within 2 years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

How long will it take the IRS to process my amended federal tax return?
It typically take the IRS between 8 and 12 weeks to process amended returns from the date your Form 1040X is received by the IRS via postal mail.

Where’s the refund from my amended return?

  • You can check the status of your Form 1040X (PDF) using the Where's My Amended Return? online tool or the toll-free telephone number 866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return.
  • Once your amended return has been processed (typically 8-12 weeks), you will receive any additional refund you are owed.
  • If it has been over 12 weeks and you still have not received your amended refund check, you can find more information about your refund by calling the IRS customer support line at 1-800-829-1040.

Tip: When calling the IRS customer support line, you can press 1 (for English), then press 0 (zero), and you should be able to talk to a live person at the IRS. The best time to reach the IRS is between 7-9 AM and 6-7 PM, Monday-Friday.

Where do I send my amended return?
When mailing a Form 1040X to file an amended federal tax return:

  • Remember to sign your amended return before you mail it to the IRS!
  • If the changes involve any additional forms or schedules, attach that schedule or form to the amended return
  • If your amended return is claiming an additional refund, you should typically wait until you have received your original refund before filing Form 1040X. You may cash that check while waiting for any additional refund.

Residents of Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas can mail their Form 1040X to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301

Residents of Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Fresno, CA 93888-0422

Residents of Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Kansas City, MO 64999

IRS Contact Information:

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing

Was this article helpful?