#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

What do I need to get started filing my taxes?

Before you file your taxes, you should make sure to have any documents, statements, and forms that may impact the amount of taxes you owe. Make sure this includes any income you received over the last year as well as any expenses you may be considering deducting from your taxes.

Our article on Important tax preparation documents to have before filing your own taxes provides a more information about the kinds of forms you might have or should expect to receive.

 Some of the documents you might need include:

  • A copy of your previous year’s tax returns (federal and state, if applicable)
  • Social Security Number for yourself, your spouse, and any dependents you may have
  • Statements related to any income, such as:
    • W-2s
    • 1099s
    • Social Security benefit statement
    • Unemployment benefit statements
  • Statements or receipts on interest or contributions paid, such as:
    • Student loan interest (1098-E)
    • IRA contributions made outside of your employer
    • Health Savings Account contributions
    • Charitable donations
    • Mortgage interest statements (1098)
  • Affordable Care Act statements, such as:
    • Form 1095-A, if you purchased healthcare through a government marketplace
Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing