#Our support team is receiving high volumes, so you may experience a delay in response. In the meantime, our Help Center may have the answers you’re looking for. ×

Forms and situations Credit Karma Tax does not support

Credit Karma Tax supports the most-common federal tax forms and schedules. You can check out the complete list of forms we support here.

But we can’t do everything just yet. These are some forms and situations that Credit Karma Tax does not support this year.

What if I can’t file my state return with Credit Karma Tax?

If we don’t support your specific state situation, keep in mind that you can still file your Federal return with Credit Karma Tax.

Form or situation

What it’s for

Part-year state returns

You, or your spouse if married filing jointly, lived in a state for only part of the year.

Multiple state returns

You, or your spouse if married filing jointly, earned income in more than one state last year.

Nonresident state returns

You earned income from a state you weren’t a resident of. This could include wages, rental income, or S-corp or partnership income.

Married filing separately in community property states (state returns)

If you live in a community property state (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, New Mexico, Texas* or Wisconsin) and you’re filing as married filing separately, we won't be able to help prepare your state tax return. You can still file your federal taxes for free.

*Texas doesn’t require state income taxes. See the 7 states that don’t require a state income tax here.

Part-Year New York City Tax Returns or Part-Year Yonkers City Tax Returns

You resided in New York City or Yonkers during part of the tax year.


You are self-employed and residing in Puerto Rico.

Filing state taxes without filing federal taxes

On Credit Karma Tax, you can file your federal taxes with or without filing state taxes, but it doesn’t work the other way around — no state filing without federal.


Specific Forms not supported

If you require one of these forms for your return, unfortunately you will not be able to file your federal or state taxes with Credit Karma Tax this year.

Form or situation

What it's for

Earned Income Credit with Non-Dependents

You’re using a qualifying child who is not your dependent for purposes of claiming the Earned Income Credit.

Clergy member tax filings (e.g., ministers or pastors)

Members of the clergy can take advantage of special tax rules and exemptions.

Schedule J, Income Averaging for Farmers and Fishermen

You want to average your fishing or farming taxable income over the previous 3 years.

Schedule K-1 - Estate and Trust income

You received a K-1 from an estate or trust for the tax year.

Form 1040NR - Nonresident alien federal tax return

Generally for nonresident aliens of the U.S. engaged in a trade or business in the U.S.

Form 1116 - Foreign Tax Credit

Allows you to claim a credit for certain foreign taxes accrued or paid to a foreign country or U.S. possession.

Form 2555 - Foreign Earned Income

This form determines your foreign earned income exclusion and your housing exclusion or deduction.

Form 2210 - Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates, and Trusts

You didn’t withhold or pay enough taxes during the tax year. If you’re unsure if this form applies to you, the IRS provides a flowchart at the beginning of the form to help you determine if you need to file this form.

Form 8332 - Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent

Releasing a claim to an exemption for your child so that a non-custodial parent can claim it, or revoking a previous release of a claim to a child exemption.

Form 8615 - Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income

Required in certain situations where your child had unearned income of less than $2,100 for the year.

Form 8864 - Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Fuels Credit

You want to claim credits for biodiesel and renewable diesel fuels sold or used in the tax year.

Form 8885 - Health Coverage Tax Credit

You want to claim the Health Coverage Tax Credit.

Form 8903 - Domestic Production Activities Deduction

For large and small businesses, or other eligible individuals or entities, who produce their goods or work in the United States.

This deduction has been repealed or tax years beginning after 2017.

Form 8915A - Qualified 2016 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments

If you were adversely affected by a 2016 disaster and received a qualifying distribution for favorable tax treatment.

Form 8915B - Qualified 2017 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments

If you were adversely affected by a 2017 disaster and received a qualifying distribution for favorable tax treatment.


Was this article helpful?

Avez-vous encore des questions? Contactez l’assistance aux membres

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing