#Good news! The IRS has extended the tax deadline to April 18th! As long as you submit your federal return by midnight on 4/18/2018, you won't be considered a late filer for your federal return. Direct debit tax payments that are submitted with your federal return (or on the IRS website) by 4/18 are also considered timely filed ×

Why do I need last year's AGI? Where do I find it?

The IRS uses your prior year AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) to help verify your identity when you e-file. They no longer accept electronic filing PINs.

You can find your prior year AGI on:

  • Form 1040: line 37,
  • Form 1040A: line 21, OR
  • Form 1040-EZ: line 4.

Form 1040: line 37


Form 1040A: line 21


Form 1040-EZ: line 4


If this is your first time filing taxes, you can enter “0” (this field can’t be blank).

If you don't have last year's tax return, you can get a tax return transcript (showing your prior year AGI) from the IRS.

If you filed an amendment last year, use the AGI from your original tax return.

Was this article helpful?

Still have questions? Contact member support

Continue your tax filing